Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Glossary database

On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 09:30:39AM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Jorge Godoy <godoy@conectiva.com.br> was heard to say:
> | On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 03:53:15PM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
> | > There's code in the DSSSL stylesheets to support doing this with
> | > bibliographys. Adapting it to glossarys doesn't seem impossible.
> |
> | Where can I look for them? I'm not (yet) a DSSSL hacker, but I'm
>
> Look in the dbbibl.dsl file in the DocBook stylesheet distribution.
> The relevant condition is biblio-filter-used.

Ok, thanks.

> | studying it a little. The problem is that I couldn't find a list of
> | valid DSSSL "commands". It's something like using only what I've seen
> | around and doing nothing more than what was already done. :-(
>
> The spec is online at ftp://ftp.ornl.gov/pub/sgml/WG8/DSSSL/

I'll look at them. Thanks again.

> | > Use <glossterm> to surround the terms in your document.
> |
> | I thought about that. :-) That was what I was doing (if it wasn't the
> | correct way, it would be easier to change it to something else).
>
> BTW, I toyed with implementing this and decided it was a bit
> more difficult than Bibliographies. The problem is that
> glossterms don't always point to the definition, so you'd have
> to do all sorts of string comparisons. Might be rather expensive.
>
> If you're writing in XML, I'd be tempted to make an external
> tool that read your source document and your glossary database
> and built the appropriate glossary. So you wouldn't have to make
> the stylesheets calculate it every time.
>
> (You could do this if you're working in SGML, too, but parsing the
> source documents wouldn't be as easy (or robust).)

Are you saying that it's better to work with XML than SGML? What
string comparisons are you talking about? Uppercase and lowercase?
Isn't it possible to implement an option such as the "-i" from grep
that ignores the case? Or using some function that lowercases
everything?

If you make the XML tool I might try to use it in SGML.

I've read some articles comparing SGML and XML, but I always thought
that SGML was better than XML. Am I wrong? Are the DTD's equivalents
or I'll miss something migrating from SGML to XML?

Thanks!
--
Godoy.	<godoy@conectiva.com.br>               GPG Fingerprint
                                         851B B620 626D 2AD0 E783

Except where explicitly stated I speak on my own behalf.
Exceto onde explicitado as declarações aqui feitas são apenas minhas.