Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: sect1 in preface

/ Jorge Godoy <godoy@conectiva.com.br> was heard to say:
| On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 03:48:55PM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
| > 1. Does that make the problem clear?
|
| Yes, it does.
| I asked because on "The Definitive Guide" the description for
| informalfigure say: "A untitled figure" (I'm not a native speaker, but
| shouldn't it be "An untitled figure"?). For informal elements, there
| should be also the information that they are unnumbered.

Yep. Thanks. Fixed.

| Isn't it possible to include another information telling if you can or
| cannot make cross references to each element? It would improve the
| book.

But it's a stylesheet issue not a DocBook markup issue. In a
print environment, I could make cross references to informal
objects if I wanted to, by saying "the figure on page xxx" or
something.  Maybe.

And online, I could makeup the hot text if I wanted to.

| > 2. What semantic do you _wish_ were implemented? :-)
|
| I'll use the link option you gave before but, a good implementation
| would be making the title element of figure (not informalfigure!)
| optional.

No! No! No! The point of formal objects is that they
<emphasis>have</emphasis> titles.

| If there's no title, there'll be only the figure number and
| then I can make a xref to it. I think that this is the best
| option.

Ok, what you're really asking for then is numbering of
informal objects.  That could be done.

                                        Cheers,

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | My fate cannot be mastered; it can
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | only be collaborated with and
Member, DocBook Editorial Board    | thereby, to some extent, directed.