Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: low/high resolution images

/ Michael Wiedmann <mw@miwie.in-berlin.de> was heard to say:
| Iīm thinking of using the "role" attribute of "imageobject" with a value
| e.g. īrole="lowres"ī and write a custom stylesheet to select this
| "imageobject" if one with this attribute is present, otherwise use the
| high resolution image.

That's basically what I decided, too.

| The SGML source would look like:
|
| <mediaobject>
|   <imageobject>
|     <imagedata fileref="images/image00.jpg" format=jpg">
|   </imageobject>
|     <imagedata role="lowres" fileref="images/image00-low.jpg" format="jpg">
|   </imageobject>
| </mediaobject>

I think (but I'm not completely sure) that it makes more sense
to put the role on the object, not on the data container. The
stylesheet is supposed to be picking objects for
presentation. Now, given that the stylesheet already has to look
at the container to get media-type information, maybe it does
make more sense to put it on the imagedata element. I'm just not
sure :-)

| Another idea was to always use the second "imageobject" for the low-res
| case and select this in the HTML-stylesheet. But I think itīs not a good
| idea because I would have to edit the SGML source in this order.

Right, I think that's pretty fragile.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | The wonder is, not that the fields
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | of stars is so vast, but that man
Member, DocBook Editorial Board    | has measured it.--Anatole France