Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: FAQ, archives, figures and tables

/ Andreas Kahari <andreas@tdb.uu.se> was heard to say:

http://www.oasis-open.org/documentation/faq/

| Also, it would be nice if I could get the URL for any archived
| messages on the list (I used to subscribe to the list some time ago,
| and there was a message archive, but I can't remember the URL to it).

http://xml.org/archives/

(I plan to write a "periodic posting" message that describes
some of these things, but I haven't got to it yet)

| So, figures in DocBook... I'm trying to understand the <imagedata> tag
| and why my EPS images won't get scaled to the right width. I've tried
| the 'width' attribute (but I don't know what units I may use), the
| 'depth' attribute and the 'scalefit' attribute (setting it to "1"
| doesn't seem to do anything). The only thing that seems to work is the
| 'scale' attribut, which isn't what I want since I want my figures to
| be exactly as wide as the text width ("\textwidth" in LaTeX).

Hmmm. Scalefit=1 and setting the width ought to do it, although
I don't promise that it works in the TeX backend. Generally, I
find it easier to make the figures the right size, but if you
only care about a single backend, you might get it to work.

The fact that the units for WIDTH aren't specified, and it's NUTOKEN
is definitely a documentation bug. Anyone remember what the semantics
are supposed to be? Some odd CALS thing, I bet...

| And tables... All my tables use proportional column widths and hence
| they span over the whole text width. The TeX backend to Jade
| ("jadetex") always complain about "overfull \hbox" (the table is
| usually <2pt too wide). How may I shrink the table width by a couple
| of pts? Using <colspec colwidth="*-2pt"> won't work since then I get a
| 2pt wide colum (for some reason).

Can't say. The JadeTeX backend isn't my strong suit.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | If you are hankering after
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | certainty, you are better advised
Member, DocBook Editorial Board    | to seek it in religion: the