Subject: RE: DOCBOOK: Choice of environment for working with Docbook?

> From: Colin Fox [mailto:cfox@telus.net]
>
> One package I've found that may do the trick is LyX.

I've tried it briefly under Linux. It looked promising, but the
drawbacks as far as I could see were: you lose the powerful text-
editing of Emacs or Vim; and you'd have to learn TeX to tweak
styles. To use it here I'd have to install a full TeX suite
and an X server (a commercial one) in addition to LyX.

> It has a linuxdoc output mode, which is SGML. I can't imagine
> it being too difficult to implement a basic DocBook output filter
> in LyX.

The sgml-tools project is on hold
http://www.sgmltools.org/suspended.html , so I'd much rather not
try to get to DocBook via Linuxdoc. How done is sgml-tools 2.0.2?

--
jean@mosaicsoftware.com                        . ... .... ///\\oo//\\\
Technical Writer