Subject: DOCBOOK: need help ,how do i

hi
i have marked my document like this
<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN" [
<!ENTITY chap1 SYSTEM "/home/maddy/alsa-howto/SGML/info.sgm">
so till chap11
<!ENTITY chngs1 SYSTEM "/home/maddy/alsa-howto/RefChng/chngs1.txt">
]>
&chap1; so on till &chngs1;
<BOOK>all my stuff goes here
</BOOK>
in one of the chapters i have tried to reffer to the entity "chngs1"
like this within a screen element
<screen>
&chngs1;
</screen>
i get a nsgmls error :
nsgmls:/home/maddy/alsa-howto/RefChng/chngs1.txt:1:0:E: character data is not
allowed here
also the effect is not rendered as intended .obviously ;-)
i wanted a .txt file to  included since it makes my job easier ,i do not need
to maintain this manual on a day to day basis since sometimes there is a
bug,tweak fix for the drivers ,it becomes a pain to maintain so what i wanted
was a text file which the developer /s can just update and reparse  the
document and update .less prone to errors this eliminates the developer need to
fully understand docbook
can anybody help
this should be possible right ?

or is it farfetched idea to use <link linkend ="path to the
text file on the server ">changes.txt</link>
will it render it properly with in a file
 appreciate all help

thank you in advance
regartds
--
maddy

           "There the eye goes not;Speech goes not,nor the mind.
            We know not,we understand not;How one would teach it"