Subject: RE: DOCBOOK: Circumventing restrictions in the WP9 DTD-compiler ?

Joachim,

WP should just give warnings about these, to notify you that it does not use
them. Since WP supports a predefined set of graphic formats, it does not
need the NOTATIONs to know how to handle each type of graphic. Pure SGML (or
should I say SGML-only) applications use these notation declarations to
associate each type of graphic with a graphic application.

This is just one use of the NOTATION declarations. I bring it as an example.

If WP's DTD compilation fails with ERROR messages (not warnings), then it's
a bug in WP that we never experienced while beta testing it.

If you have to modify the DocBook DTD files in *any* way to compile it for
WP, I suggest you copy the entire DocBook directory to some other location
for use exclusively by WP. This will ensure you maintain the integrity of
your DocBook installation for other applications that are 100% SGML
compliant. I am not aware of ways to make the notation information available
to SGML applications via other means, though I suppose an application could,
in theory, use environment variable etc to set up such information. This
question really depends on which application you're using.

I promised I'd install WP again and try to compile the beta DTD. It's on my
to-do list, I promise, but there're so many items before it on that list...

Gershon

So said Joachim von Jena:

Questions:

- what information is missing if the NOTATIONs are removed in dbnotnx.mod.
  Can docbook be used in a restricted way?

- are the NOTATIONs MIME types?

- can the NOTATIONs information made available in docbook in a different
way?

Joachim v.J.