Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Proposal for BNF/EBNF markup

At 10:25 AM -0500 3/22/00, Eve L. Maler wrote:
>>lhs     --> prodleftside
>>rhs     --> prodtranslation
>>             (or maybe translation, translations, or translationlist)
>
>These are traditionally called lhs and rhs in all kinds of computer
>science contexts, so I'm reluctant to expand them.  If we do, it
>should be lefthandside and righthandside.

Are <leftside> and <rightside> acceptable alternatives?

At 10:25 AM -0500 3/22/00, Norman Walsh wrote:
>Hmmm. Fairly high markup/text ratio.

Point taken.  I agree.

>Are there requirements here for being able to switch representations
>of the same BNF?

Not really.  I was just trying to stay out of the formatting business
when thinking in content mode.  Perhaps I was getting overzealous;
I'm a little new to this structured documentation thing, and trying
to follow principles.

| Dave Makower                                 <davemak@iclick.com> |
| Manager of Portal Architecture & Development                      |
|   iClick, Inc.                 |   (914) 872-8030                 |
|   120 Bloomingdale Road        |   (914) 872-8100   fax           |
|   3rd Floor                    |   (914) 872-8000   main          |
|   White Plains, NY  10605      |   http://www.iclick.com/         |