Subject: Re: Re[2]: DOCBOOK: Figure Numbers (DocBook XSL)

/ Bob Stayton <bobs@sco.com> was heard to say:
| > From: Dave Makower <davemak@iclick.com>
| >
| > I tried your test case, and you're right: it also works fine for me
| > with XT.  However, I altered it slightly and was able to reproduce my
| > symptom.  Here's the XML and the resulting HTML.
|
| Your change was to put each figure inside a <section>
| element.  The problem here is that Norm's XSL template for
| figure xrefs generates a figure number using
|
| <xsl:number format="1."/>

Ooops! Fixed.

| I suspect Norm has intentions of making that
| a configurable parameter.  The policy gets more

Someday. For now it just does {chapter|appendix#}.figure# or simply
a global figure#.

| You can get your example to do what you want by changing
| one line the XSL stylesheet.  In common/common.xsl,
| in the template starting with:
|
| <xsl:template match="figure|table|example|equation" mode="label.content">
|
| change this line:
|
|   <xsl:number format="1."/>
|
| to:
|
|   <xsl:number level="any" from="chapter|article" format="1."/>
|
| or to whatever policy you want to implement.

But don't change it in common/common.xsl! Instead, create a new
stylesheet that includes the base stylesheet and includes an alternate
definition for the template in question.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Time wounds all heels.
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ |
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee |