Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: DocBook: lists within lists

/ Brendan J Simon <Brendan.Simon@ctam.com.au> was heard to say:
| It seems I can only put lists within certain types of lists.  ie. any
| lists that uses the <listitem> element can contain any type of list.  I
| am trying to put a segmentedlist within a segmentedlist but it seems the
| docbook specification does not allow this.
| Is this correct ?
| Are there any work arounds ?

No one has ever asked for nested segmented lists, or lists
within segmented lists. I don't recall if they are absent by
design or oversight. Can you explain why you want to do this?

| Is there anyway to make the different list types more generic in there
| syntax.  I would like to be able to change to a different list type by
| just changing the outer level markup tag/s.  ie. change sortedlist to
| orderedlist to segmentedlist to simplelist .....

ItemizedList and OrderedList can be changed back and forth that way,
because they are basically isomorphic. The structure of VariableList
and SegmentedList are completely different, it wouldn't make sense to
try to "quickly" turn them into numbered lists or bulleted lists.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | I have often wondered why I [keep]
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | going...There [can] be no hope and
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | no reward. I always recognized