Subject: DOCBOOK: Newbie: Producing indexed eBooks with DocBook?

Hello,

Please excuse this post if I'm in completely the wrong place -- I'm still
very unsure whether this is an appropriate tool...

I'm trying to publish some existing texts as indexed HTML eBooks. It looks
as though there's good support for this with the DocBook Index and
IndexTerm widgets, allowing me to build some quite sophisticated
manually-specified indices.

However, I'm unclear how I actually "publish" to HTML, and from the manual
I get the impression that I need a fairly detailed grasp of DSSSL to do
this, using maybe Jade as a tool. Is this right? I think I would then get
generation of an index from the IndexTerms I specified - what about an
automatically-generated index of all words (except those in a list I supply)?

Before installing Jade and SP and running through the installation
guidelines, I'd like to check I'm on the right track!

An alternative seems to be to use docbook2X (docbook2texi) and then
texi2html -- is this also feasible? Would this build the index for me?

And then there are the commercial options - do tools like Framemaker
support both near-WYSIWYG editing and also HTML publishing? Whilst I'll
happily use XEmacs / PSGML / Norm.Walsh's DocBook IDE if that's an
appropriate option, what I'd prefer is a tool which shields me from some of
the underlying wizardry -- that can be a commercial tool if necessary. I'm
checking out the features of the tools mentioned as supporting DocBook.

You'll gather that I'm wholly unfamiliar with this arena, I do hope someone
can proffer guidance. Thank you for your attention.

Regards,
Thomas.
----
Thomas Nichols, Worcester, UK