Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: imagedata and .png files

Colin Paul Adams <colin@colina.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Looking at the reference documentation for docbook 3.1, the imagedata
> tag does not appear to support .png files.
>
> Why is this? Will they be in 4.0? What do I have to do to hack it in
> the meantime?

The 3.x series do not support pngs - 4.0 will. However you may use a
customized layer on top of your DocBook DTD and your Stylesheets to
get png support. Both the GNOME and KDE projects have done so and it
and have documentation on how you can use them too.

GNOME's Version
http://www.gnome.org/gdp/gdp-handbook/gettingstarted.html

KDE's Version
http://i18n.kde.org/doc/crash-course/kdetools.html

Although these are Linux/UNIX projects - the customizations should
work on any platform.

Cheers,

Dave
--