Subject: RE: DOCBOOK: Inquiry: state of the art of Win32 DocBook?

A word of caution. Consider your users first, I looked over the Windows
tools for two different clients. While this is a powerful set of tools, it
hardly the "Windows" tools. In each case, the users barely used Microsoft
Word correctly. PGSL mode of Emacs was or hardly the tools for them. Since
this project did not justify the expense of something Frame Maker, I just
stuck with Word warts and all.

I often taught that you could roll this out to Windows user, but you would
need to do two things. First, I would suggest that you consider creating a
macro or template in Word or WordPerfect, so you average users could work in
a normal word processor. This would provide the majority of the
functionality. WordPerfect might the best choice, since it does include a
SGML Editor with an outdated DocBook DTD. It also provide a mark view that
allows you to have more control than Microsoft Word does. I bet that you
could get either of these to do the nice subset DocBook, using Visual Basic
macros. This way the normal user wouldn't even know that they are using
DocBook, which I think it the only way you could roll it out without
extensive training.

Second, you need to install the normal Emacs tools on an "advance users"
desktop. These users would add more advance DocBook entries that might not
be possible with VB macros.

In both cases, you must create a Window Install. There is no way you want to
support the current install method, because there is just too much teaking
need to be completed.

Well, that my two cents worth.

Jeff