Subject: RE: Re[2]: DOCBOOK: General roadmap questions

<snip>There are other vendor choices than the ones that were suggested
to you.  In some ways ArborText's products could be said to be the
best, but I don't know that they are best for anyone starting out
with *ML, or being the main tool if XML is your orientation.

You might like Adobe's FrameMaker+SGML, or SoftQuad's XMetaL, since
I think it's fair to say both are simpler to start using DocBook with ..
FrameMaker+SGML out-of-the box comes with a DocBook set-up, although not
the most recent.  If you want non-XML-gurus (ordinary engineers, or
marketing
people) to edit content, we've found that XMetaL is a very good choice - we
actually recommend adding XMetaL tool to FM+SGML workgroups to some
customers.</snip>

We HATED XMetal, here, HATED it. We used it for mark up for a few months and
everyone was deeply annoyed by the UI. We're using Arbortext, which has some
limitations, but really is the best I've seen for XML publishing and
authoring. One of the folks on my team has been using the Beta for XML
Instance, put out by Extensibility (they make XML Authority, which we use
for building DTD's and like a lot) and says it's okay - it's out of beta
now, I think you can get a free download from their site. We reviewed Frame
but decided not to use it because you have buy all these third party plug
ins to make it a true XML enabled solution. I'm sorry I can't be more
specific about that, it was a while back and I don't remember the details.
But I do remember how much we all HATED Xmetal.
In addition, while Arbortext is a little slow getting back to me sometimes,
their support has been excellent. The SoftQuad folks were kind of a drag to
do business with.