Subject: RE: DOCBOOK: Literary DTDs

Thanks Marc,

I have briefly looked at DocBook.  I cant say I am an expert, though the
focus does not seem to be literary. I would say that people assume that
since "literature" covers the whole spectrum of the written word, they
assume that it is automatically covered by any of its subsets.

To answer your question, a 'non-technical' version does not cover all the
subtle necessities specific to a different set of concerns and priorities
related to those purely dedicated to literary knowledge.

In the same way that there is a set of concerns and a specific lingo for
'scientific' needs, there is also one for 'humanistic' topics.

I appreciate the feedback,

Alvaro Siman

-----Original Message-----
From: Beckers, Marc [mailto:Marc.Beckers@softwareag.com]
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2000 8:24 AM
To: 'docbook@lists.oasis-open.org'

> >Is anyone out there working on an XML DTD designed for
> literary use??
>
> Docbook is suitable for such use.

I agree, there are just many element types you wouldn't
be using. I also find the cut-down version of DocBook very
useful for general (non-technical) writing.
Check the  Simplified DocBk XML DTD at
http://www.nwalsh.com/docbook/index.html

Does "non-technical" qualify as "literary"?

Dr. Marc Beckers
Documentation Consultant
Software AG
Uhlandstraße 12