Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Denoting change in a DocBook document

/ Jeff Waugh <jdub@aphid.net> was heard to say:
| Surely some of the documentors on this list would be presenting long DocBook
| documents to traditional editors - what's your solution?

Changebars are an exceptionally thorny problem. I don't know of any
good, general solution. It's possible that

  XPointer+XLink+XSL+CVS+diff+"SMOP"

is enough technology to make a pretty good stab at the problem, but
it'll require some inventiveness.

Keep in mind that there are two flavors of changebars. The "show me
what has changed between these two versions" is SMOP (simple matter of
programming). The other, more legalistic flavor, where you want a
record of the fact that someone deleted a word and then added the same
word back, requires an editing tool to keep track of what you change.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Some books are undeservedly
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | forgotten, non are undeservedly
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | remembered.--W. H. Auden