Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Extending using a Customization Layer

/ Todd Babinski <todd.babinski@dynetics.com> was heard to say:
| expect to use this new tag is the following, and I don't want it to be
| tied to any particular location, like having to be within a section tag:
| 		<SpotId>InstallationDescription</SpotId>

You want this tag to be ubiquitous? Available anywhere that, for
example, Anchor is allowed?

Are you using the SGML or XML version of the DTD?

| 	I only intend to use this tag in the HTML style sheets.  What I want to
| do with it there is to add some meta data, much like the keyword tag
| does within the keywordset, but I'm trying to avoid having to do all
| that tag wrapping, and I want to add some different formatting than that
| for keywords to the output.

I don't think I understand. Could you provide a little more explanation
or a few more examples?

| 	So the customization layer that I added is currently as follows, but I
| get an error saying that the "document type does not allow SpotId here"
| no matter where I put it.
| 		<!ENTITY % local.spotid.class "SpotId">

This isn't really necessary.

| 		<!-- load DocBook -->
| 		<!ENTITY % DocBookDTD PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN">
| 		%DocBookDTD;
|
| 		<!ELEMENT SpotId - - (#PCDATA)>
|
| 	I'm sure my attempt is just fundamentally flawed, but I cannot make
| heads or tails of this problem.  Any suggestions and help would be
| appreciated.

In short, you've created a new element, SpotId, but you haven't allowed
it anywhere.

You might try this, as a a start:

		<!ENTITY % local.gen.char.class "|SpotId">

 		<!-- load DocBook -->
 		<!ENTITY % DocBookDTD PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN">
 		%DocBookDTD;

 		<!ELEMENT SpotId - - (#PCDATA)>

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | When we are tired, we are attacked
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | by ideas we conquered long
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | ago.--Nietzsche