Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: generate man pages on Linux

/ Rafał Kleger-Rudomin <ip011@osi.gda.pl> was heard to say:
| On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 03:18:23PM +0200, David N. Welton wrote:
[...]
| : Can anyone advise me on a better efficient tool to use for this?

It's not an uncommon request, but I don't know of a really good tool
for doing it.

| : How can I make the distinction between Tcl and Python code?

Use a role attribute.

| It looks to be DocBook limitation.

Only if the FuncSynopsis and/or ClassSynopsis markup can't
represent the semantics of Tcl and Python, which I doubt.

It's a stylesheet limitation that they can't be presented correctly.
Not that that helps very much, I understand.

| I work on one more converter (but fast enough to
| handle on-the-fly conversion), but so far I assumed only
| C style functions too :( because 'funcsynopsis' element
| (that you probably use) is described as follows in docs (TDG):
| "The content model of this element was designed specifically
| to capture the semantics of most C-language function prototypes".

I should probably clarify that sentence. The text 'designed
specifically to capture the semantics of most C-language function
prototypes' is an excuse for the fact that it doesn't do other things
better. It isn't a statement that it's wrong to use FuncSynopsis for
other languages, if it fits your needs.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | We think in generalities, but we
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | live in detail--Alfred North
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | Whitehead