Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Errors in iso-num.ent ?

/ "Carole E. Mah" <carolem@mama.stg.brown.edu> was heard to say:
| I discovered this when I discovered that the official docbook iso-num.ent
| file already deals with some cases of this problem, namely &lt; and
| &amp;. However, it does not deal with &quot; and &semi; so I'm thinking
| the same hack needs to be used for these as well (the hack being to make a
| decimal code replacement rather than a unicode replacement for these
| characters).

I assume you meant &quot; and &apos;, not &semi;. There's nothing
special about &semi;

But I also don't know what trouble you're encountering with &quot; and
&apos;. Since they aren't markup start characters, I can't imagine the
circumstance in which they cause problems.

| Am I right in my diagnosis of this problem, or should I instead be making
| some modification to our XML Validator?

I can't tell without more information. Can you provide a small instance
that demonstrates the problem?

P.S. The fixes you provided are clearly in error. You have:

  <!ENTITY lt	"#38#60;">  <!-- LESS-THAN SIGN : is really x003C -->

Where you need

  <!ENTITY lt	"&#38;#60;">  <!-- LESS-THAN SIGN : is really x003C -->

at least.

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | The stone fell on the pitcher? Woe
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | to the pitcher. The pitcher fell