Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: What DocBook element for name of a programming langauge?

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Norman Walsh wrote:

> / Trevor Jenkins <trevor@suneidesis.com> was heard to say:
> | The DocBook DTD has many inline elements for use with programming
> | languages, e.g. ClassName, ReturnValue. However, I can't find anything
> | appropriate for the name of the programming language itself. :-( It would
>
> What about <productname>?

Still not quite what I'd expect to use. The GNU gcc compilier suite is a
product, hence should be marked up as <productname>gcc</productname>, but
the mark up for the various programming languages it implements should be
differenmt.

> What are your expectations for programming language names once marked up?

I want to be able to search through the document instance for all
occurences of specific programming languages. As I'm documenting a search
engine toolkit it is rather important that the distinction be made between
a programming language (defintion) and the compiler(s) that implement it.

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living language.
Support the campaign for formal recognition by the British government now!

--

<>< Re: deemed!