Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Is it possible in DocBook?

Roman Suzi <rnd@onego.ru> writes:

> I am looking for format to write technical book in. I found that DocBook
> + DSSSL Jade to render it is probably what I need.

Yes, probably docbook in XML or SGML in conjunction with Jade or
OpenJade is what you want, esp if you need RTF output.  I'm not much
up on recent events in XSL* though.

> However, I have some questions I did not found good answers for in
> docs. The destination format is RTF (with TeX and HTML output also
> desirable). I have stylesheets-0.13rh-4.rpm installed (DocBook 3.1)
>
> 1. My book will be in Russian. Russian seem to be supported but when I
> tried lang="ru" in the chapter example - I do not see "Glava" written
> where it need to be. (de and fr are fine outputting "Kapitel and
> Chaptier").

Check the 'common/dbl1ru.ent' file -- I believe all the stuff there is
translated.  If not, talk to Norm. But see below.

> example.sgml:
> -----------------
> <!DOCTYPE chapter PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN">
> <chapter lang=ru><title>&Tcy;&ecy;&scy;&tcy; - incorrectly
> looking</title>
> <para>
>
> This is a paragraph in the test chapter. ...
> </para>
> </chapter>
> -----------------

This doesn't seem quite exactly right, although it should work.  I
don't think DocBook was meant to be used with Chapter as the top-level
element.

For example, here is a complete spanish SGML document:

<!DOCTYPE Book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN">
<Book lang="es">
<Chapter>
<title>Introducción</title>
<para>Hola.</para>
</Chapter>
</Book>

The top-level is book, which is valid.

> How do I add russian text here conveniently?
> (not by &Ecy;&tcy;&ocy; - or is it the only way?)

If you do it in XML, can't you use Unicode?  Is that "convenient" ?

> (If it is, I could write a simple convertor, but if it is possible to
> feed in koi8-r encoding - it would be great!)

It should be possible to use koi8-r encoding directly in XML or SGML,
but I've never tried to do it, so I'm not sure how you slap around
jade or openjade to tell it about the encoding.  In XML, can't the
top-level <?xml ..> processing instruction indicate the encoding?  I
have DebianDOC/SGML documents in Russian which are in koi8-r encoding,
with stuff like this in it:

      <title>õÓÔÁÎÏ×ËÁ Debian GNU/Linux &release; ÄÌÑ &arch-title;</title>

> jade -t tex -d /usr/lib/sgml/stylesheets/nwalsh-modular/print/docbook.dsl
> example.sgml
>
> # jade-1.2.1-9 gives no errors
>
> jadetex example.tex
>
> # jadetex-2.7-2
> # tetex-1.0.6-11bc
>
> it gives this:
> """
> ! Text line contains an invalid character.
> l.165 {^^@
>           ^^@}\def\sbNom%

It works for me.  I'm use JadeTeX 3.20.  You need the cyrillic stuff
installed, as well as TIPA:

 (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/tipa/t3ptm.fd)
 (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/cyrillic/t2acmr.fd)
 (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/ts1cmr.fd)
 (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/hyperref/nameref.sty)
 (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/psnfss/t1phv.fd)
 (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/cyrillic/t2acmss.fd)

> xdvi example.dvi

Looks beautiful for me.

> 2. Russian letters are somewhat incorrect (in jadeTeX version). The word
> "Test" when written in Russian (&ecy; instead of &iecy; is used to show
> that letter is wrong) consists from letters of different fonts.

This is possible.  Try with a newest JadeTeX.  I read in there:

  \expandafter\def\csname Entiecy\endcsname{\cyrchar\cyre }% U0435%

Is that incorrect?

> 3. In my book I need xref capabilities like \pageref in LaTeX. I have not
> found them in the DocBook docs. (I need page references not just section
> references.) Is there any way to use them in RTF and TeX backends?

I feel like I knew this and forgot it.  I don't see any stock
customization parameter for this.

It is definately doable with a DSSSL style customization, but I don't
have any examples offhand.  You could ask on the DSSSL list.

> Or would you advice something else? For example, is there comparable in
> quality _freeware_ LaTeX -> RTF converter which could convert tables,
> cross-pagerefs?

Dunno offhand.  I think documenting technical stuff in DocBook makes
more sense since it's got more structure for this than LaTeX does.