Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Is it possible in DocBook?

On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

>Roman Suzi <rnd@onego.ru> writes:
>>
>> 1. My book will be in Russian. Russian seem to be supported but when I
>> tried lang="ru" in the chapter example - I do not see "Glava" written
>> where it need to be. (de and fr are fine outputting "Kapitel and
>> Chaptier").
>
>Check the 'common/dbl1ru.ent' file -- I believe all the stuff there is
>translated.  If not, talk to Norm. But see below.

I have installed new jadetex - now the letters are correct but
still no "Chapter" ("Glava") in russian...

<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN">
<Book lang=ru>
<chapter id=chapter><title>&Tcy;&ecy;&scy;&tcy; - now correctly
looking</title>
<para>
There must be "Glava" written here: <xref linkend="chapter">
- but it is only empty space :-(
This is a paragraph in the test chapter. ...
</para>
</chapter>
<chapter id=chapteri lang=de><title>correct
looking</title>
<para>
No problem here
 <xref linkend="chapteri">
- german chapter.
</para>
</chapter>
</Book>

-----

The emptiness instead of "Glava" is written into .tex file
already, thus I suppose it has to do with jade?
(Or a DocBook?)
Could somebody clarify?

>This doesn't seem quite exactly right,

It is right - I wrote "chapter" DOCTYPE...

 although it should work.  I
>don't think DocBook was meant to be used with Chapter as the top-level
>element.
>
>For example, here is a complete spanish SGML document:
>
><!DOCTYPE Book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN">
><Book lang="es">
><Chapter>
><title>Introducción</title>
><para>Hola.</para>
></Chapter>
></Book>

"Capitulo" appears allright!

>The top-level is book, which is valid.
>
>> How do I add russian text here conveniently?
>> (not by &Ecy;&tcy;&ocy; - or is it the only way?)
>
>If you do it in XML, can't you use Unicode?  Is that "convenient" ?
>
>> (If it is, I could write a simple convertor, but if it is possible to
>> feed in koi8-r encoding - it would be great!)
>
>It should be possible to use koi8-r encoding directly in XML or SGML,
>but I've never tried to do it, so I'm not sure how you slap around
>jade or openjade to tell it about the encoding.  In XML, can't the
>top-level <?xml ..> processing instruction indicate the encoding?  I
>have DebianDOC/SGML documents in Russian which are in koi8-r encoding,
>with stuff like this in it:
>
>      <title>õÓÔÁÎÏ×ËÁ Debian GNU/Linux &release; ÄÌÑ &arch-title;</title>

Good idea -- probably there are some DocBook docs in russian somewhere?
(So I could test).

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
Vote for my design: http://silvermouse.onego.ru/gray.php3?id=0018