Subject: DOCBOOK: online help

Hi,

the subject of using, extending, or modifying DocBook for online help use.

We're currently implementing a customized version of DocBook for our print
documentation at the CMBU (ClearCase business unit) within Rational.

We will also be movng our online help documentation to XML within the next
year, and we'd like to use many of the basic DocBook structures. We have a
lot of data in our online help that is replicated in our books, and we
really need to reuse that material for cleaner maintenance.

But the DocBook hierarchy simply doesn't accomodate online help as well as
we need it to.  We're currently considering writing a second hierarchy
module to cover the helpset hierarchy; we haven't completely investigated
the possible implications of this, but will need to before we really get
into the work.

What are other people doing to use the DocBook information pool for their
online help, without trying to force it into the book model?

BTW, if someone could subscribe me to this list, or tell me how to do it
('subscribe' in the body of the mail, or the subject line?), I'd appreciate
it. Otherwise, I won't see any replies.

Thanks,

Nancy

Nancy (Paisner) Harrison