Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: line break and text output

--nVMJ2NtxeReIH9PS

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 12:54:57PM -0800, Michael Smith wrote:
> Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:
> > / Jonathan Riddell <jr050@jriddell.org> was heard to say:
> > | I can get html output and postscript output, can I get text output?  =
This
> >=20
> > The best route I've seen for plain text is HTML -> text via w3m[1]=20
>=20
> Yeah, the way is: generate the HTML, then open it with a "dump" option
> from a text-based HTML browser, like "lynx -dump".
>=20
> But the big wrinkle is rendering of HTML tables. If your doc has
> tables, you have to use a text-based browser that supports ASCII table
> rendering; lynx doesn't, w3m does, Emacs/W3 mode does also.
>=20
> w3m is the best way to script/automate it for conversion. I think the
> flag is "-dump" just like lynx.

We've had build problems with w3m on the Alpha platform (I'm not an
Alpha user, so I don't know the details).  We've switched to links,=20
which also handles tables and frames, and doesn't have the problems
building on the Alpha.  It also has fewer dependencies on other packages
(such as the Bohem GC work).

It's at

    http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mikulas/vyplody/links/

--=20