Subject: Re: New to DocBook: XML or SGML, Clark or Open?

"Prikryl,Petr" wrote:

> Hallo DocBookers,
>
> Briefly first, more details below in the text:
>
>  - Should I be oriented towards SGML or XML when starting
>    with DocBook as a total greenhorn?  Do I need a unicode
>    capable editor for XML?
>  - Should I choose Clark's SP and Jade or OpenSP
>    and OpenJade?
>  - Should I ask about JadeTeX here or somewhere else?
>  - Notice: I am using Windows NT (I have no choice).
>
> Now the context in more details
> ======================= [snip]

I had the same experience you are living now: trying to document
software and hardware
faster and with extra capabilities.

I choose SGML and Docbook, with Jade and Jadetex (to get TeX files to
convert to ps or pdf).

I have had a great deal understanding the DSSSL from Norm Walsh. My
advice
would be that if you have time to spend learning, the effort will be
compensated.
I say this when actually I haven't had time enough to make my stylesheet
customizations
as good as I would like, but I have "real" results and I'm sure I will
get at a stable
point.

About XML: I tried it. For several reasons I remained loyal to SGML.
Nevertheless,
I'm making my documentations with an eye on that question, so I'm sure I
will be able
to switch to XML as soon as I really need it. I guess (for what I have
read here and
in other forums) that SGML is more oriented to printed documentation
than XML,
and after all, you work the same way.

About Jade vs OpenJade, I switched to OpenJade some time ago, but I went
back to
Jade because there was some problems with the stylesheets I hadn't found
in Jade.
So now I work with Jade. Some times in this list I have read "use Jade"
in order to
avoid a specific problem, but I'm unable to tell you if in this moment
OpenJade is
the right choice or not.

If you have further enquiries I will be pleased to help a "colleague".

Regards,

Juan R. Migoya

P.S: I work with Windows NT and Miktex.