Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: tagging package names (rpm, deb)

On Wednesday 30 May 2001 09:02, Mark Johnson wrote:

> > This is simply a filename. It is a file on your system,
> > package or not.
>
> So is a command (usually), but it has semantics that allow it to be
> distinguished from its hum-drum existence as a mere file. At least that's
> the way I'm thinking about packages...

When you refer to the command as a file (an entry under /usr/bin, for
example) , you should mark it up as a file. When you refer to a command as a
command (something you do), you should mark it up as a command.

In terms of a package, it depends upon how you will use it. In 95% of the
cases, when you refer to a package, you refer to it in its role as a file.
For the few other cases, a separate tag could be useful. But whether this tag
should be a part of the official DocBook, or an extension to DocBook, is
another matter.

The FreeBSD documentation project added several tags that they felt were
Linux documentation project also working on a DocBook extension? Perhaps this
is where a package tag should go. Maybe Debian needs to create it's own
extensions for its own use.

--
David Johnson