Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Markup for personal names

/ Ed Nixon <ed.nixon@LynnParkPlace.org> was heard to say:
| Sorry, Norm. It came off the top of my head and was more a response to
| your example: <name>Norm Walsh</name>
| versus the current firstname, othername, surname, etc. set. At the
| risk of added complexity, perhaps a more well considered variant like
| <simplename>Norm Walsh</simplename> in addition to the current tag set
| would be worth thinking about. Where this fits in the larger picture?
| I'd have to do a fair amount of studying up to have anything
| intelligent to say on that front.

No, that's a good point. I just didn't make the connection with 'para'
because they're all structured.

We could provide both <person> (with element content) and
<personalname> with text content.

Just to get it into the archives, let me note also that I can imagine
wanting this:

  <*info>
    <person class="author" id="norm">...</person>
  </*info>

But maybe <xref> would be sufficient there. OTOH, it would be nice to
be able to check that person references really were references to
persons.  Dunno. This plays into the longstanding "universal linking"
planning as well.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | It's all fun and games until
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | someone loses an eye. Then it's
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | just fun with a pirate.