Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Markup for personal names

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 04:47:53PM -0400, Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Michael Smith <smith@xml-doc.org> was heard to say:
> | Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:
> | > I've had a long standing action item to write a new proposal for
> | > "names and addresses". So I've been thinking about personal
> | > names. Right now we have author, editor, etc. but there's clearly a
> | > desire to markup other sorts of personal names (other sorts of
> | > contributors) and to cleanup the association of names and addresses.
> |
> | What's the scope of this this proposal? Just for personal names in
> | bibliographic sections, or is it to include inline markup for
> | personal names in <para> etc.? I hope it's the latter.
>
> It arose from three requirements:
>
> 1. There is a need to markup more names than just those of Authors and
>    Editors. There are far more kinds of contributors.

Isn't this what OtherCredit is for?

Are you thinking of formaling some of these, Translator, Reviewer, and
so on?  I'm not sure it's necessary.

> 2. There is a need to provide markup for names inline. (So yes, it's the
>    latter.)

I think <name>, which would have the same content model as Author (and
the others), and <simplename> which would be 'raw' would be sufficient.

> 3. This:
>
>    <author>
>      <firstname>Norman</firstname>
>      <surname>Walsh</surname>
>      <affiliation>
>        <address>
>          <email>ndw@nwalsh.com</email>
>        </address>
>      </affiliation>
>    </author>
>
>    (a) seems like an awful lot of markup just to include my email address

True.  DocBook is not the most svelte of DTDs though.

>    (b) is sometimes incorrect since, in fact, that particular email address
>        has nothing to do with my affiliation with any organization (except
>        myself and few have accused me of being organized :-)

But you can have several Affiliation elements attached to an author,
yes?

FreeBSD: The Power to Serve             http://www.freebsd.org/
FreeBSD Documentation Project           http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/

          --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---

PGP signature