Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Elements for describing machine names and Oracle instances

My thanks to Michael Smith and Norm! <systemitem class="systemname"> and <database> are just what I was looking for. Thanks again!

Mike

Mike Broschinsky <mbroschi@das.state.ut.us> writes:
> I'm writing documentation for an application that we have had written
> for us. In the documentation I make mention of the different machines
> on which different parts of the application reside, identifying the
> machines by the server name assigned by our network people.
>
> One part of the application is an Oracle instance, that also has a
> specific name.
>
> In DocBook, is there an element that is used for machine/server names,

Yes, <systemitem> element with the class="systemname" attribute.

Here's a example instance from the DocBook reference documentation.

  <!DOCTYPE para PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN"
   "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd">
  <para>
  For many years, O'Reilly's primary web server,
  <ulink url="http://www.oreilly.com/">http://www.oreilly.com/</ulink>,
  was hosted by <application>WN</application> on
  <systemitem class="systemname">helio.oreilly.com</systemitem>.
  </para>

[snip]

/ Mike Broschinsky <mbroschi@das.state.ut.us> was heard to say:
| In DocBook, is there an element that is used for machine/server
| names, and is there an element for things like Oracle instances?

<application>? <database>?

[snip]