Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Query

/ Bob Stayton <bobs@caldera.com> was heard to say:
| I don't believe the DocBook XSL stylesheets are generating
| those spaces.  When I use xsltproc on those tags,
| no extra spaces are generated.  Is this perhaps a
| bug with the way IE5 handles the stylesheet
| processing?

I think it may be. I vaguely recall that when I was working on the
XMLSpec stylesheets for the W3C, someone reported that IE5 turned

  <xsl:template match="XXX">
    <tag>
      <xsl:apply-templates/>
    </tag>
  </xsl:template>

into "<tag> content</tag>" (or something like that) but

  <xsl:template match="XXX">
    <tag><xsl:apply-templates/></tag>
  </xsl:template>

rendered correctly. This is a bug, plain and simple. I have no plans
to change the stylesheets to work around this bug. The former style
is more readable (IMHO) and easier to maintain.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | If a little knowledge is
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | dangerous, where is the man who
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | has so much as to be out of