Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Change Bars

At 20:42 3-10-2001, Norman Walsh wrote:
>That works for block content, but it's not a very pleasing solution
>for inline changes. Propagating those up to the highest block might be
>doable, but it would make it appear as if the whole block changed
>which is sub-optimal.
>
>I think a proper solution will have to wait until there's FO support
>for marginalia.

Hmm... I'm having thoughts about absolute positioning... make a block with
no content and a border, position it relative 0 vertically and absolute +7"
(or whatever) horizontally...  It's crazy, but it just might work.

<!-- make a block with a space in the margin -->
<fo:block
   absolute-position="absolute"
   top="auto"
   right="0.5in"
   border-after-color="black"
   border-after-style="solid"
   border-after-width="2pt"
   > </fo:block>
<!-- make the actual content of this element -->
<xsl:apply-templates/>

That *should* put a line a half-inch to the right of the containing
block.  That will only work if the containing block is a paragraph, though,
and not another inline.

-Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden, Principal Consultant, HMM Consulting Int'l, Inc.