Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Quotes in a <guilabel>

Holger Rauch <Holger.Rauch@heitec.de> writes:

> How can I put single or double quotes (' or ") inside a <guilabel>? (The
> <quote> element is NOT available inside <guilabel>). Is this a bug or a
> feature?

The content model of <guilabel> is very limited by design -- the only
content the DTD allows in it is smallcptr.char.mix (a handful of
inlines) or <accel>, so it also excludes most other inline elements,
not just <quote>.

The thing with using <quote> is that it lets your processing app
choose which glyphs to use. But that seems unnecessary/inappropriate
in the case of documenting a GUI label -- because you probably want to
match exactly what is used in the actual GUI label you're documenting.

> Is just using &quot; the right thing to do?

That looks like the thing to do to me, if the GUI actually uses
straight double quote marks. If it uses curly ones and you want to
match them, &ldquo;/&rdquo;