Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: A straw proposal for help topics in DocBook

That's what I come up with whenever I try to develop a DTD for online
help... I think it's the correct approach.

Gershon

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Dave Pawson wrote:

> Using the 'dita' logic, wouldn't that then be a collection of individual
> topics?
> I.e. a super-topic?
> topic: what the engine is,
> topic: why it needs to be running
> topic: what equipment is required to start the car
>
> etc?
>
> That supports the re-use more?
This is where single-sourcing falls down when you are publishing for
online help as well as user manuals (be it online or print). Your source
must be targetted for your primary output format, and the other output
formats are compromises. I think the markup should represent your primary
purpose/structure. The stylesheets (or application) used to generate the
secondary output formats then have to work from this source. Because
authoring is more logical when the DTD is tailored to the primary purpose
of the docs, authoring is easier, so I think it does indeed support the
re-use more.

Others may have different experiences; this is mine...