Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Implementing DocBook on MS-DOS/Windows

Bob,

I wrote a Q&D Guide to install a docbook on RH 7.1.  I've looked it over
again.  It looks simple to convert this process to Win$$.  I'll include
it below and annotate (>>>Win$$) suggestions for Win$$ conversion.  Let
me know how you fare.

Jonathan
This is a hybrid installation where the programs tetex and openjade are
installed from RPM, and the definitions are installed from their source
the remaining definitions installed from their source.

 >>>Win$$: Just get the openjade binaries for Windows from
 >>>Win$$: openjade.sourceforge.net. Do not worry about Tetex.

Refs:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/authors/index.html#resources
 >>>Win$$:  Look over this page it is very useful.

1.
INSTALLATION
********************

1.1.
Install Tetex
Installed the latest Redhat version, 1.07-27 rpm.  Openjade uses tetex
macros.  Installed all the tetex packages.
 >>>Win$$: Ignore Tetex.

1.2.
Install Openjade.
Installed the latest Redhat version, 1.3.-17 rpm.

1.3.
Install DocBook DTD's
Got DocBook SGML 3.1 and  DocBook SGML 4.1 from
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/sgml/index.shtml

Got DocBook XML 4.1.2 from
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/index.shtml

These arrived as zip archives, Unzipped them into
/usr/local/share/docbook/sgml-3.1/
/usr/local/share/docbook/sgml-4.1/
/usr/local/share/docbook/xml-4.1.2/
respectively.
 >>>Win$$:  substitute C:\docbook for /usr/local/share/docbook
 >>>Win$$:  If you are only interested in sgml, just get sgml-4.1

1.4.
Install DocBook Entity Definitions
Got http://www.linuxdoc.org/authors/tools/entities.tar.gz
and un-tgz'd it repeatedly into each of the above DTD
directories

1.5.
Install DSSSL Stylesheets.
Got the latest (1.72) style sheets and documentation from:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/docbook/

Un-tgz'd the docs in /usr/share/doc/
 >>>Win$$: Put the documentation where you like.

Un-tgz'd the style sheets in /usr/local/share/docbook/,
it creates a sub-dir /docbook-dsssl-1.72 in both cases
 >>>Win$$: Put in C:\docbook. (version is 1.73 not 1.72).

1.6.
Install the LDP Customizations
Got the lastest from:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/authors/tools/ldp.dsl
Copied this file into /usr/local/share/docbook/ldp
 >>>Win$$: copy ldp.dsl to C:\docbook\docbook-dsssl-1.73\html\. and
 >>>Win$$: C:\docbook\docbook-dsssl-1.73\print\.

2.
CONFIGURATION
*********************

2.1  Create the following symlinks
 >>>Win$$ Do not worry about creating the symlinks.

cd /usr/local/share/docbook/
ln -s sgml-4.1 sgml
ln -s xml-4.1.2 xml
ln -s docbook-dsssl-1.72 dsssl
cd sgml-3.1
ln -s docbook.cat catalog
cd ../sgml
ln -s docbook.cat catalog
cd ../xml
ln -s docbook.cat catalog
cd /usr/share/sgml
ln -s openjade-1.3 openjade

2.2
Create the following file:

CATALOG "/usr/share/sgml/openjade/catalog"
CATALOG "/usr/local/share/docbook/dsssl/catalog"
CATALOG "/usr/local/share/docbook/sgml/catalog"
CATALOG "/usr/local/share/docbook/xml/catalog"
<<<<<<<</usr/local/share/docbook/catalog
 >>>Win$$: substitute C:\docbook for /usr/local/share/docbook
 >>>Win$$: if not interested in xml delete last line

2.3
Add the following env variables to startup file
I use bash, so add the following to /etc/profile
-----------
export JADE_HOME=/usr/share/sgml/openjade
export SGML_SHARE=/usr/local/share/docbook
export SGML_CATALOG_FILES=$SGML_SHARE/catalog
-----------
 >>>Win$$: use SET in autoexec.bat - fix the JADE_HOME
 >>>Win$$: and SGML_SHARE=C:\docbook.

2.4
Apply the LDP customizations
 >>>Win$$ Ignore this step.

cd /usr/local/share/docbook/dsssl/html
ln -s ../../ldp/ldp.dsl .
cd ../print
ln -s ../../ldp/ldp.dsl .

Log out and in again for env variables to take effect.

 >>>Win$$:  The following applies until the next >>>Win$$ tag.

Get a docbook sgml template to verify the installation.
http://www.linuxdoc.org/authors/template/big-howto-template.sgml

For multifile html (on one line).
openjade -t sgml -d c:\docbook\docbook-dsssl-1.73\html\ldp.dsl#html
<sgml-filename>

for single file html (on one line)
openjade -t sgml -V nochunks -V rootchunk -d
c:\docbook\docbook-dsssl-1.73\html\ldp.dsl#html <sgml-filename>

for a single rtf file. (0n one line)
openjade -t rtf -d c:\docbook\docbook-dsssl-1.73\html\ldp.dsl#print -o
<rtf outfile> <sgml file>

To get from rtf use Win$$'s wordpad, and print using adobe's Acorobat
distiller.

 >>>Win$$$

3
Validating and Publishing xml or sgml

To validate sgml
nsgmls -sv -c $SGML_CATALOG_FILES <file>.sgml

To validgate xml
nsgmls -sv -c $SGML_CATALOG_FILES $SGML_SHARE/dsssl/dtds/decls/xml.dcl
<file>.sgml

The following script creates a <filename>.output subdirectory,
into which it creates a dvi, tex, single html,
chapterised html, pdf, ps, and txt files.

#!/bin/sh

FILE=$1
IMAGES=$2
DSL_PRINT="${SGML_SHARE}/dsssl/print/ldp.dsl#print"
DSL_HTML="${SGML_SHARE}/dsssl/html/ldp.dsl#html"

if [ "`echo $FILE | grep \"\.xml$\"`" != "" ] ; then
	EXT=xml
	XTRA="${SGML_SHARE}/dsssl/dtds/decls/xml.dcl"
elif [ "`echo $FILE | grep \"\.sgml$\"`" != "" ] ; then
	EXT=sgml
	XTRA=""
else
	echo "To publish docbook formatted sgml or xml."
	echo "Usage: publish <filename>.{sgml,xml} [image-dir]"
	echo "   where:"
	echo "		filename is the file to publish"
	echo "		image-dir is the relative dir path containing images"
	echo ""
	exit 1
fi

if [ ! -f $FILE ] ; then
	echo "File: $FILE not found"
	exit 2
fi
BASE=`basename $FILE $EXT`
mkdir ${BASE}output > /dev/null 2>&1
cd ${BASE}output
if [ "$?" != "0" ] ; then
	echo "Cannot mkdir or cd to ${BASE}output"
	exit 3
fi

rm -fr *
mkdir chaps
if [ -n $IMAGES ] ; then
	mkdir images
	mkdir chaps/images
	cp ../${IMAGES}/* images/. > /dev/null 2>&1
	cp ../${IMAGES}/* chaps/images/. > /dev/null 2>&1
fi

cd chaps

openjade -t $EXT-raw -E 0 -d $DSL_HTML $XTRA ../../$FILE
mkdir patch
for f in `\ls *.html` ; do
	sed -e 's,<br/>,<br>,g' $f > patch/$f
done
cd ..
openjade -t $EXT-raw -E 0 -V nochunks -V rootchunk -d $DSL_HTML $XTRA
../$FILE
sed -e 's,<br/>,<br>,g' index.html > ${BASE}html

lynx -dump -nolist ${BASE}html > ${BASE}txt

openjade -t rtf -E 0 -d $DSL_PRINT -o ${BASE}rtf $XTRA ../$FILE

openjade -t tex -E 0 -d $DSL_PRINT -o ${BASE}tex $XTRA ../$FILE

jadetex ${BASE}tex
jadetex ${BASE}tex
jadetex ${BASE}tex
dvips -o ${BASE}ps ${BASE}dvi

pdfjadetex ${BASE}tex
pdfjadetex ${BASE}tex
<<<<<<<</usr/local/bin/publish

Execute publish as follows to hide unnecessary warning clutter.

publish harold-config.xml 2>&1 | fgrep -v "DTDDECL catalog entries"