Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: [website] newbie q

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 12:33:12AM -0800, Bob Stayton wrote:
> > From: Daniel Veillard <veillard@redhat.com>
> >   Even better: don't change the files, just make sure you have a local
> >      catalog and tools supporting catalogs (XML or SGML).
>
> Daniel,
> Since you are the author of xsltproc, perhaps you
> could give an example of the proper use of catalogs with
> your tool?  Catalogs are great, *when they work*.

  :-)

  Sure, have a look at
    http://xmlsoft.org/catalog.html

> But it's frustrating when you try to use catalogs
> and they don't work.  It is hard to figure out *why*
> they don't work.  Did I give it the right syntax?
> Did it find my catalog? Which relative path didn't
> it get?  Was there something wrong
> with the catalog file? Or the catalog entry?
> Is there a debug option that traces the catalog resolution
> process?  The latter would be especially nice.  8^)

  Hum, export XML_DEBUG_CATALOG=1 should do this. This may
be incomplete or too verbose but the facility is there.

  I think the page addresses most of those points, using
the xmlcatalog command with the --shell option is IMHO a good
way to learn an debug XML catalog construction. It is supposed to
work with SGML catalogs too but I don't claim the same level
of support (for example libxml2 2.4.7 broke the SGML Catalog
handling, I got the bug report only yesterday, it's now fixed
in 2.4.8).

  Since XML Catalogs are a bit new I have put an example
"installation ready" (at least for unices) of
DocBook XML 4.1.2 + XML Catalogs  at:
   ftp://xmlsoft.org/test/dbk412catalog.tar.gz

Daniel