Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Re: Concrete proposal for #480954: Extend textobject toinsertexternal files

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 10:18:00PM -0400, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> At 11:33 AM +0900 11/13/01, Michael Smith wrote:
> >  I remember
> >discussions about incompatibilities with schemas
>
> I can't imagine what that might be.

  PSVI properties either not preserved or inaccurate after XInclude processing.

> >ambiguity about the
> >processing model (as Norm mentioned, it's not clear whether you do
> >validation before or after XInclude)
>
> As you choose

  Well actaully XInclude works at the Infoset level, and DTD validation
is not defined on theorical ground at that stage, so at least DTD validation
is not supposed to occur after XInclude processing.

  In general people seems to agree that applying DTD or Schemas validation
is better done before XInclude but that it should not be cast in stone :-)

  Slightly off-topic, but still interesting in the case of DocBook processing,
xsltproc allows to process XInclude before the XSLT transformation on the
transformed resources (not the stylesheet), I think Xalan/Xerces allows this
too, and this could prove useful in some cases,

Daniel