Subject: DOCBOOK: Re: Linking in DocBook V5.0

/ Adam Turoff <ziggy@panix.com> was heard to say:
| On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 11:07:10AM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
| Which inline elements do you mean here (i.e., which PE definitions)?
| Or, do you mean anything that can be found inside of <para>?

I mean essentially all the inlines (filename, command, parameter, systemitem,
phrase, etc.). But not blocks (para, section, etc.).

| There's a reasonably good case for making block elements such as section
| and chapter take xlinks as well; it makes it easier to compose larger
| works from smaller works without resorting to defining entities in the
| local subset, especially when using xlink:show="embed".

I don't know what to do about embed. I'm convinced[1] that it's a damn
tough problem to deal with.

The problem with making blocks be simple links is that it is very unclear
what the semantics are. Suppose you make <chapter> a simple link. What
does that mean?

| For those of us who aren't keeping track of XLink progress, can
| you please provide a 30-second refresher of what an extended link
| is?  :-)

Extended links are out of line. They say "that markup over there" is
linked to "that other markup over there".

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-link-style/
--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Sites disappear; others are
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | created. That nasty little railway