Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Re: Linking in DocBook V5.0

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 12:30:02PM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Daniel Veillard <veillard@redhat.com> was heard to say:
> | On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 05:47:44PM +0100, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> | > Is there anybody who need to use extended links? If there is no stress
> |
> |   Yes, me. I want to be able to use external link bases containing
> | generic indexes for a collections of documents at least.
>
> Are you building tools to do this? Can you provide some practical feedback
> on what elements you'd like to see added to DocBook and where?

 Not building tools, but in the Gnome project we are faced with
the problems of building indexes and cross links between sets
of document which may not be installed all at once (i.e. modular
documentation set).
 And external link base seems a really good way to implement this
on a pure XML framework without requiring to preprocess documents
at install-time.
 So I don't have a specific construct to suggest, but I know that
there is a clearly identified need and a possible solution. So
I would prefer that solution not excluded from the framework.

 In practice this could be added simply on a top-level element
like book, one per document might be enough, but I don't know
if that would be sufficient in itself.

Daniel