Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Re: Linking in DocBook V5.0

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 12:28:29PM +0100, Yann Dirson wrote:
> A possibility would be to define this AF so that we're on a firm
> formal ground, and continue using DocBook as it is now.  SGML users
> would be able to get the Xlink architectural instance if needed (hm,
> does it make sense ?).  Then later the AF support for XML can be
> written.

  The reason why XLink *requires* the href attribute to be prefixed
is because processing XLink correctly *requires* correct namespace
processing. Using AF to try to turn around the absence of namespace
support in the SGML toolchain is not a way to proceed I can endorse.
You can try it though, but don't expect the XML tools to follow because
the problem is that XML uses namespaces to associate semantic to syntax,
and trying to reduce this to just a syntax issue is not a proper
analysis of the problem.

Daniel