Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Re: Linking in DocBook V5.0

At 6:35 AM -0500 11/16/01, Norman Walsh wrote:

>But <A> links are *always* inline. This doesn't provide any practical
>experience with making <P> elements or <DIV> elements or <BODY>
>elements the starting point of links.

No, they're not, which is precisely my point. <A> links can and do
surround block level elements, and browsers have no trouble dealing
with this. It may not be legal according to the HTML DTD, but
practically it does work and it is used. I doubt even one HTML author
in ten knows that A elements aren't allowed around block level
elements.