Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Re: Linking in DocBook V5.0

At 9:51 AM -0800 11/16/01, Bob Stayton wrote:

>>  I'd agree entirely, except that I think the notion of what constitutes
>>  an internal link is going to start to get fuzzy soon. XInclude, for example,
>>  provides functionality very similar to external entities, but whereas all
>>  entities are resolved before DTD validation, XInclude elements won't be.

Not necessarily so. I'm using XInclude with DocBook today, and I
don't validate until after all the links are resolved. If you want to
check out the files see
http://www.ibiblio.org/xml/books/xmljava/masterbook.xml

>>  So as soon as you <xi:include> the chapters of your book instead of
>>  &chap;ing them, you have to use "external links" to cross chapter
>>  boundaries. Unfortunate, perhaps, but there you have it.

No you don't. The links just can't be evaluated until the XIncludes
are resolved. Again, I have an existence proof: a rather large book
written in DocBook in which separate files are used for each chapter
and most code examples, all assembled through XInclude. This is
written with the unmodified DocBook 4.1.2 DTD, and it all works. The
only thing that really doesn't work well is that if I generate a PDF
for one chapter instead of the entire book, then inter-chapter
cross-references break, but this is not a showstopper, and I could
probably figure out how to fix it in the style sheets if I cared to
spend a couple of hours on it.