Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: What should a <sidebar> look like?

I think there is more difference than layout, although it does depend on
what the author is doing. <marginalnote>Marginal notes are not the same as
footnotes</> A marginal note is typically a summary or key point, while a
footnote is typically additional information (such as bibliographic
reference).  At least in that scheme, they are semantically
different.<footnote>Purely personal opinion.</>

At 09:37 AM 12/19/01 +0100, Yann Dirson wrote:
>On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 08:35:10PM -0800, M. Wroth wrote:
> > I agree that marginal notes are not sidebars, but neither are they
> > footnotes.
>
>But both marginalia and footnotes are specific layouts for text that
>is, semantically, a note attached to some point in the text.  Whether
>the rendering of this note shall produce one or the other layout
>object is a matter style.
>
>OTOH, I does raise a question about the <footnote> name - it is the
>name of a layout item, not of a semantic item, as already shown by the
>"end notes" rendering.
>
>--
>Yann Dirson <Yann.Dirson@fr.alcove.com>                 http://www.alcove.com/
>Free-Software Engineer                                Ingénieur Logiciel-Libre
>Free-Software time manager             Responsable du temps Informatique-Libre
>Debian GNU/Linux developper <dirson@debian.org>

Mark B. Wroth
<mark@astrid.upland.ca.us>