Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Re: Image scaling

>From: Yann Dirson <ydirson@fr.alcove.com>
>To: "Matt G." <matt_g_@hotmail.com>
>CC: docbook@lists.oasis-open.org
>Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Re: Image scaling
>Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:23:22 +0100
>
>On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 09:56:34AM +0000, Matt G. wrote:
> > However, to do this cleanly, you'd have to define an out-of-band
> > layout format, which could supply formatting information for at
> > least the images (individually, or perhaps in groups) in a given
> > document.
>
>I'm not (yet) convinced we *need* that, but as Bob pointed out, PI's
>could be used - no need to put out-of-band data in a separate file.

I really don't like the idea of using PIs.  How is this any better than
adding this information directly in the content model?  But, if you do this,
you give up the ability to easily validate any of the formatting info, and
you risk having it get stripped out, if there are any processing stages
between the source file and the stylesheet processor.  Besides, you can
already add app-specific PIs, right (though I'd regard this as a bad thing
to do)?

If you're going to put the formatting information in document file, please
just put it in attributes & elements.

The thing I like about breaking this info out of the document file is that
it allows better separation of the task of authoring a document, and
tweaking its styling.  If the out-of-band image formatting stream references
attributes of ID type, in the source document, then the source document can
change in substantial ways that wouldn't affect the image formatting
information.

In general, however, I think that much of the time, people should use the
'role' attribute of imagedata, and the stylesheets should apply image
formatting, based on that.  For the kinds of formatting control that
imagedata provides, it seems like various attribute combinations used on the
imagedata elements of a given document are likely to be correlated with some
particular aspect of the role of the images, in that document.

However, omitting any formatting information, for imagedata instances, in
the source document, would probably be unacceptable to a significant number
of users, as it would force many into writing stylesheet customization
wrappers who otherwise would do fine without.  Furthermore, it seems like
you'd also have some number of people writing document-specific stylesheet
components, which essentially implement the out-of-band formatting I was
describing.

In other words, as Norm said, I think we're stuck with it.  I just wish it'd
be a little cleaner.

Matt Gruenke