Subject: DOCBOOK: Re: newbie table colspec colwidth question

/ Douglas du Boulay <ddb@R3401.rlem.titech.ac.jp> was heard to say:
| I have a docbook sgml document containing many informaltables.
| I am using the linux documentation project ldp.dsl customization
| of the modular docbook.dsl dsssl stylsheets for rendering to HTML.
|
| Using all default sgml attributes, all the resultant HTML tables have
| explicitly equal width columns. In an earlier version of my document

The stock stylesheets don't seem to do this. Can you try your test
document without the ldp.dsl customization and see if the problem
still exists?

| Probably it is most desirable to specify the colwith explicitly with
| the <colspec> tag but I wonder what is the recomended way to set those
| widths for both html and print output.

By using CALS relative width specifications. If you say

  <colspec colwidth="3*"/>
  <colspec colwidth="2*"/>

You're saying you want the first column to be "3 units" wide and the
second column to be "2 units" wide. The number of units in the table's
entire width is the sum of all the numbers you use (in this example, 5).
If you don't specify a table width, it defaults to "1*".

In CALS you can say things like "2*+1in" but that doesn't work in the
stylesheets.

If you give a column an explicit width, like "3in", it doesn't count
towards the relative units. But it does reduce the entire table width
available by 3in.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Simplicity is always a
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | virtue.--Edward Abbey
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee |