Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Re: Simplfying the ToC content model

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 08:10:47PM +0100, Gerrit Kuilder wrote:
> Hello Norm,
>
> this will create very complicated (xpath)formatting rules, for that same
> reason I avoid nested <section>'s and use <sect1>, <sect2>, etc
>
> So why not let the user make the choice for nested (simple) toc or the
> way it is now?

I initially had a similar reaction, but then I decided
that if I needed to create TOCs manually, that I would
include a role attribute to identify the toc level
for each entry:

<tocentry role="chapter">...
  <tocentry role="sect1">...

That seems like an appropriate use of role, and
would make xpath queries as simple as
using element names.

Of course, that assumes that you are creating the TOC in
the first place and can add the role values.

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com