Subject: DOCBOOK: Re: Urgent: user experience with 4.2CR1?

/ Michael Smith <smith@xml-doc.org> was heard to say:
| The only problem I've run into is in using the DTD with Earl Hood's
| perlSGML. If I try to run the perlSGML 'dtdview' command on it, I get:
|
|   $ dtdview docbookx.dtd
|   Reading catalog(s) ...
|   Reading docbookx.dtd ...
|   Syntax error in subset.
|           Unexpected character: "E", ascii code=69.
|       Reason:
|           Invalid character found outside of a markup statment
|
| What it's complaining about is the line starting with "ERROR" in:
|
|   <![%sgml.features;[
|   <![%xml.features;[
|   ERROR: Exactly one of xml.features and sgml.features must be turned on!
|   ]]>
|   ]]>

Hmmm. That's interesting. His tool is obviously ignoring marked
section boundries, but because we have a single driver for SGML and
XML, I've set things up so that it is explicitly an error to have both
xml.features and sgml.features turned on simultaneously.

I don't know if we should fix this or not.

Pro: tools that ignore MS boundries wouldn't get confused.
Con: turning both sets of features on might result in unpredictable behavior

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Knowledge, sense, honesty,
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | learning, good behavior are the
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | chief things towards making a