Subject: DOCBOOK: SYSTEM identifier

Hi,

I am just writing my first DocBook document now, a simple technical
guide which uses the root element "book" (since it has a few "part"s and
"chapter"s and "section"s).

I used the Fink utility to download DocBook, and am wondering out of the
many files that arrived in the package, which one of these I should use
as my SYSTEM identifier in my document type declaration.

I have a file called /sw/share/xml/dtd/docbookx/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd, that
tells me the following:

<!-- This is the driver file for V4.1.2 of the DocBook DTD.
      Please use the following formal public identifier to identify it:

      "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN"

      For example, if your document's top-level element is Book, and
      you are using DocBook directly, use the FPI in the DOCTYPE
      declaration:

      <!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN"
                     "http://www.oasis-
open.org/docbook/xml/4.0/docbookx.dtd"
                     [...]>

But according to "DocBook: The Definitive Guide", XML DocBook documents
usually use the SYSTEM identifier and I don't see any mention of this.

Maybe I'm just confused -- can anyone give me some advice?

TIA,

Erik

----

Erik Price