Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Re: attaching text to cmdsynopsis

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

> Perfect place to ask.

Great - thanks for your answer, and time!

> | I'd like to "attach" the text in the para tags to the cmdsynopsis,
> | to make a unit out of it, in order to be able to process it better
> | with XSL, and so on.

> It might be easier to answer your question if you could provide a
> little bit more context. Depending on how the rest of your document
> is organized, I can imagine that a separate section for each command
> might be appropriate.

It's really just a series of commands, with brief descriptions of what
they do.  I ended up using a list, although it's awfully wordy:

    <variablelist>
      <varlistentry>
	<listitem>
	  <cmdsynopsis>
	    <command>Rivet_Script</command>
	    <arg>GlobalInitScript</arg>
	    <arg><replaceable>script</replaceable></arg>
	  </cmdsynopsis>
	  Tcl script that is run when each interpreter is initialized.
	  <arg>script</arg> is an actual Tcl script, so to run a file,
	  you would do:
	  <programlisting>
	    Rivet_Script GlobalInitScript "source /var/www/foobar.tcl"
	  </programlisting>
	</listitem>
      </varlistentry>
      <varlistentry>
	<term>
	  <cmdsynopsis>
	    <command>Rivet_Script</command>
	    <arg>ChildInitScript</arg>
	    <arg><replaceable>script</replaceable></arg>
	  </cmdsynopsis>
	</term>
	<listitem>
	  Script to be evaluated when each Apache child process is
	  initialized.  This is the recommended place to load modules.
	</listitem>
      </varlistentry>

and so on...

this gives me a little more control over associating the descriptions
with the commands.

I sort of had hopes of surrounding the cmdsynopsis and following text
with some tag that I could use to associate them.  I suppose I could
use <para>, but that's generic, so I don't have a way of
distinguishing it from other para's (and possibly doing some XSL
output transformations on it).  Is that what the 'role' attribute is
for?

Does that make sense?  Thankyou once again,
--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/