Subject: DOCBOOK: Re: curious about attribute default on <itemizedlist>

/ Yann Dirson <ydirson@users.sourceforge.net> was heard to say:
| On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 08:50:53PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
|> with possible values of compact or normal, but a listed
|> default of none.  what does this mean?  how can it not have
|> a listed default value?  just curious.
|
| It just means there is no hardcoded default in the DTD, and usually
| that the stylesheet may infer a "default" value from the context,
| based on described processing expectations if any.

Right. I tried to indicate this typographically by using italics for
the word "None" meaning there isn't a default. Contrast this with the
default value for 'class' on trademark where the default value is
shown in an upright, constant width font (and quotes).

P.S. Yes, the fact that 'class' is defaulted on trademark is a bug
that will be fixed eventually.

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | He who fails to become a giant
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | need not remain content with being