Subject: DOCBOOK: Re: Playing with annotations...

/ Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com> was heard to say:
|>popup uses JavaScript to make hovering over the link popup a window
|>containing the annotation. Non-popup doesn't, but uses JavaScript to
|>popup a new browser window if the user clicks on it.
|
| The non-popups don't work with my NS 4.72, though they do with IE6.0.

Oh, bleh. Somehow I generated an extra space in the URIs. If you edit
the HTML files and take out the mistaken %20 in the links, it works. In
4.77 anyway.

|>> 1.  In paginated output, should annotations be able to be rendered
|>> as footnotes (e.g., at the bottom of the current page)?  If so, how
|>
|>Yes.
|>
|>> do they interact with footnotes an dother floats?
|>
|>I'm tempted to make them footnotes labelled differently and presented
|>in the same footnote list as other footnotes, either before all the
|>other footnotes or after them.
|
| But not mixed within them, right?  (I think I know what you mean by
| "in the same footnote list as other footnotes", but I'm not positive.)

Ideally, no, not mixed in with them. I can't think of how to achieve
that in the FO case, though.

|>Where footnotes get labelled "1", "2", "3", etc. I'm tempted to label
|>annotations with either their label, if they have one, or "Ann-1",
|>"Ann-2", etc.
|>
|>I would format them in all other respects like footnotes.
|
| Sometimes footnote references (both in the flowing text and at the front
| of the footnote content) are superscripted.  If that were the case, would
| you also superscript the annotation reference labels?  (That might look odd.)

Whether or not the marker is superscripted (in fact, formatting of the
marker in general) is a style decision that we don't have to make. By
that, I mean, there's nothing special about it, so any designer can
override it as they choose.

|>> 2.  In paginated output, should annotations be able to be rendered
|>> as end notes, that is, collected and emitted at the end of some
|>> current scoping division?  If so, we have most of the formatting
|>> questions raised above.
|>
|>I think the answer is probably yes, and the same answers apply to the
|>formatting questions.
|
| But there are others.  If endnotes, should they start a new page or not?
| Should there be a title for the endnotes or not, and if so, what and
| how formatted.  If the body of the division is in a two column format,
| should the endnotes be in 1 or 2 column format?

Endnotes, unlike footnotes, are entirely at the control of the
stylesheet author, so I think the right answer to all of these
questions is "yes". :-)

|>> Or if the annotation element is contained
|>> within an element, say "year", that is picked up by some XSLT code
|>> to be stored and used elsewhere, what happens to the annotation
|>> in the copy that was picked up?
|>
|>I'd say it should be left behind.
|
| I agree, but that won't happen unless the stylesheets are written
| carefully with this in mind, right?

Possibly, yes. Anytime you duplicate content, you have to consider
markup that might be in the thing you're moving (you don't generally
want to duplicate index terms and things). Annotations would just be
something else to think about.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | The formula 'Two and two make
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | five' is not without its
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | attractions.--Dostoevsky